Friday, December 27, 2013

A UFO flimsy...completed!!

These 4 patch blocks were donated as a UFO.  I love the colors, and decided that it needed some white to offset the busyness of the blocks.

I had to trim them up and then chain pieced them until I had them in larger blocks of 4 blocks each.

I wasn't sure what I would do for the outer border, but knew that there were a lot of pre-cut 4 1/2 in blocks included in this donation.

Here is the completed flimsy!  It measures 62 x 78.  I am sure that there is someone out there that will love this quilt.

Linking to TGIFF with Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts.  Check out her work and the work of all the other bloggers linking up.  So exciting!  This is the last TGIFF of the year. HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!

Link to Needle and Thread Thursday over at My Quilt Infatuation with Kelly as our host!

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Special request!

Charlotte is home!!! Yes, after 97 days in the hospital, she is home with mommy and daddy. We are thrilled, and she is doing well. Thank you Lord, for this miracle!!!

Thank you everyone for your continued prayers and thoughts!   All of my quilty friends mean the world to me.

After her being home for a few days, her mommy realized how many blankets a baby goes through, and that she did not have enough!  So an urgent call came in for more receiving blankets.  I promptly went to JoAnn and purchased 6 more 1 1/4yd pieces of flannel for said blankets.  Squared them up and proceeded to hem them with a simple rolled hem.

Here are the blankies!  I love that they aren't to baby like, but fun!  I especially love those little birds!
This is going to be the best Christmas ever!  Merry Christmas, and may each of you be blessed beyond your dreams!

Monday, December 16, 2013

A new tote for Jemma!

If you have been following my blog, you know that I got a new sewing machine about a month ago. I am so excited to have a nice small machine to take with me to bee days, retreats and where ever else I need a sewing machine. I had no case for her (Jemma), and decided that I could make a tote for that purpose.

Fortunately she is a very light weight machine, so I knew that I could make something strong enough to carry her around.

I shopped in the local "Home Fabric" store, and they had such a great selection of deco weight fabric to choose from. I chose these coordinates because I thought they looked happy. I sat down to design my tote, and then...

...started figuring out where to cut.

I used 3 layers of interfacing/batting.  I quilted around each flower, and in no time, it was done!

I made the bottom ends of the handles with no batting or interfacing.  I wanted the stitching to be nice and straight.

I made an inside pocket large enough to hold the instruction book for her.  She is still new to me, and I have to double check settings.

Mr. H was kind enough to cut a piece of 1/4" melamine to give structure to the bottom of the tote. I made a sleeve to cover it.

There it is in the bottom of the tote.  Fits perfectly!!

This time I put in a separating zipper.  One needs as much room as possible when loading in a sewing machine.  So the flaps go right down along the sides without getting in the way.

Doesn't she look happy?

I even used feet on the bottom of this tote to try to save the bottom and corners of the fabric.

I did pad/interface the top middle part of the handles for comfort.  No extra pockets or fancy stuff.  If you find yourself needing to transport your machine, make a tote! 

I even made a pouch for the peddle/cord!  Look at the fancy cord minder...she is now set for her debut at the next bee meeting!!

**A quick update on the UFO with the bleeding came out!!  Thanks everyone who commented with advice as to how to remove it. (you can read about it here )  I ended up using Oxiclean stain remover and Dawn dish washing liquid.  I washed it in hot water and used Tide.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

I am so proud of this beauty!

Just this week, this quilt came back from the long arm quilter!  I am beyond thrilled with how it came out.  She did an outstanding job with this all over design.  Thank you Miss M!!!

Each square has partial seams....still not my favorite, but not near as bad as I thought it would be.

Look at this looks like swirling snow!

I sat and hemmed it by hand last night.

It is a BIG one!  98x98.  This is a king sized bed that it is on.

This is such a great pattern.  It changes, depending on where you are standing when you look at it.

This pattern, Tumbling Logs, is by Judy Martin.  It has 2,386 pieces.  I hope that you enjoyed seeing this quilt as much as I enjoyed making it. 

Linking to Can I Get a Whoop! Whoop! with Sarah as our host!

Linking to Needle and Thread Thursday with the lovely Kelly as our host!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...