I dug out my pattern to refresh my memory on how to cut this project out.
Everything is cut and labeled. Time to get all of the interfacing ironed on! I used 3 layers on the tote body. Featherweight fusible, fusible batting and a heavy duty stabilizer. It must be sturdy enough for the weight of a sewing machine.
I decided on a simple straight line quilting on the body of the tote.
Handles are attached.
Time to make the zipper flange. I used a separating zipper for this tote.
One thing I did different with this tote is, I bound the top instead of turning the tote through an opening. I just top stitched the flange into place using my zipper foot.
I used a blind zipper pocket for the inside. You can go HERE for a tutorial on blind zipper pockets.
I also added a scissor pocket to the inside.
This tote will be carrying around a sewing machine, so there needs to be some rigidity to it. I had Mr. H cut a piece of melamine the size of the bottom of the tote. I made an envelope for it and placed it in the bottom. It fits nice and snug, and can be removed when needed.
I also added 6 small purse feet to the bottom. With the weight of a sewing machine, and the scooting that takes place, it would have worn out to fast without them!
The pouch on the right is for the foot peddle and cord. The one on the left is for sewing notions and the small one is for bobbins and needles!
A peek at the inside! A happy family indeed.
I hope she likes it! HAPPY BIRTHDAY little girl!!!!!!!!!!
linking to: Needle & Thread Thursday with Kelly as our host!