Sunday, April 20, 2014

Installing a blind pocket!

How many times have you made a pouch or tote, and really didn't want the pocket to show?  You want the security of a zipper pocket, but not the look of a patch pocket.  Well, I have written this little tutorial for you.  This method is great for the inside or outside of your project.


The first thing you need to do is determine the width of the pocket you want.  (We will talk about the length down a little further!)  That will determine the length zipper you will need.  Cut your fabric so that it is 1 in. wider on each side of your zipper opening.  ** if your zipper is 7in., your pocket width would be 9in.**  Measure 1 1/2 in. down from the top of your pocket fabric and 1 in. in from each side of your pocket fabric.  Draw your sewing lines 1/4 in. apart.  **see above picture**  Sew around all 4 sides with right sides together.  On the tote itself, I measured down 3 in. from the top of the tote and centered the opening.


Use either your seam ripper or a sharp scissor to cut down the middle,  Making a Y at each end of the opening.  Make sure you don't clip any of the stitches!


Turn right sides out and press.


This is the inside of the pocket showing here.  I interface both the body of the project and the back side of the pocket.  I like the stability that interfacing gives.


At this point, you have a choice, put in the zipper, OR, just leave a slit opening!


I tried something new, fabric glue ... I didn't care for it.  Now, position the zipper in the center of the opening.  Either baste it, glue it, or pin it.  Oh the choices!  You will use your zipper foot to get nice and close to the plastic zipper teeth.


And just like that, your zipper is in!


Turn your project over.  My zipper was longer then my opening, so I needed to trim it.


I left a tail of about 1/4 in at the end.


For the pocket itself, I cut my fabric 15 in. long which will give me a pocket depth of 6 in.  Figure out how deep you want your finished pocket to be, and add 3 in..  You will take up these extra 3 in. at the top of the pocket.  Remember, your zipper is down from the top by 1 1/2 in..  Pin, and sew up all 3 sides.


Make sure to move the body of your project out of the way.  Press well.
 
 
 And there you have it!  A nice pocket, without it being in your face!
 
If you want to see a different example, click HERE! Blind pockets with and without zippers!

20 comments:

RedSetter said...

Thank you so much for this really clear tutorial. My sewing is hardwork as I find it a slightly unforgiving medium with all the calculations and this is perfect.

Susan said...

Thank you for a great tutorial Vicki! I have often searched online for an easy way of doing this and now I know where to go! Can we see the rest of your pretty bag soon please?

Heather @ Quilts Actually said...

I need to put a pocket in a bag lining, so this is great timing. Thank you!

Karen M said...

Thanks for this tutorial. I look forward to trying your technique.

Kim said...

Wonderful tute, Miss Vicki. Now we can all zip away to our li'l ole hearts' content!! Thank you!!

Deborah said...

I'm bookmarking this!! Thanks!

Willow River Piecemakers said...

Really great tutorial! Thanks for taking the time to create it!

Lorna McMahon said...

Now that is a handy tutorial! I will have to come back to this when I make the jacket for my son. A zippered pocket inside would be a great addition!

Anne said...

What a fantastic tutorial, thank you so much! :D

Marly said...

Great tutorial, thanks. I shall be trying this technique soon.

maryandpatch.blogspot.com said...

Whooo! It looks so perfect! Zippers and me are at war! I'm in awe!

Swedish Scrapper said...

Oh, thank you for this nice tutorial!!

Unknown said...

I have made lots of zipper pouches and love your tutorial method of adding the zipper. Definitely try this one.

Lorette said...

Great tutorial!! I will save this!

Tina Craig said...

I learned this technique in a class recently and the instructors used a 1/8" basting tape instead of glue or pins. Works like a charm!

Sabrina said...

Wow! Thank you for a wonderful and easy to understand tutorial! You actually make me think I could do this.

Quilting Stories said...

Very clever tutorial! I was always afraid of zippers! Thanks

Live a Colorful Life said...

Great tutorial! As far as glue, I really like Elmer's school glue with the really skinny tip--it works like a charm!

Tanyia said...

wow, this has to be the best looking pocket I have seen, thank you so much for sharing your tutorial!

Stopping by from Lee's WIP hop http://www.domesticdeficitdisorder.blogspot.com/2014/04/wip-wednesday-april-23rd.html

Katelyn @ Sing While Crafting said...

Thanks for this great tutorial! I'm gonna pin it for future use.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...