Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Showing some progress!!

Hi all...I am linking to WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced!!!  I definitely have a BIG work in progress!

The table I use for basting is 24x48, yes, inches!!  This quilt is 80x80.  So you can see that it is a little tricky, but it went very smoothly.  Make sure that your backing and batting are pressed well.  Once I have it centered, I fold the quilt in half, and center it on top.
Now I have all three layers, centered and ready to pin baste.  Make sure to smooth your three layers out, and then smooth them out again!
One advantage of using a plastic table, you can press stubborn areas right there on the table!
I can't stand stray threads.  Pick...pick...pick!
Now it is time to baste.  I try to keep the pins at about 3-4 inches apart.  You can't use to many as far as I'm concerned.  This is what stabilizes your work.  You will be pulling and pushing your quilt, a lot, so this is a very necessary step!
It is a job getting this heavy, bulky quilt quilted, but I know that it will be beautiful when it is done.  It takes a lot of bobbins to quilt something this size.  I am about 1/3 the way done, and I have used 6 bobbins so far!!

I am using a loose loop-t-loop.  This is a first for me, so I am learning as I go.  I can't wait to have this "Swoon" complete and washed.  I love the crinkly look after it is laundered!

I trust that everyone is remembering to check out the bloggers involved with the Let's Get Acquainted - New Bloggers Blog Hop!!  Beth has been so generous with her instruction and hosting.  You will be so amazed at what some of these gals are up to.  Just click on the button over on the right for a full schedule.  My time is coming on July 26, I'd love for you to include me in your hopping!!

Comments keep me going.  Let me know what you're thinking!  Thank you so much for checking in on my progress.  I am hoping to have more to show you next week!

8 comments:

Ava said...

Wow that is a lot of bobbins. From what I could see the quilt looks beautiful.

sarah said...

Holy smokes! Impressive! I think it's hard quilting a twin size on my machine..Awesome!

Lorna McMahon said...

It seems that I have been following you around all morning, Vicki! I have enjoyed reading all your comments on the blogs that have linked up with Lee's WIP Wednesday! Ha, ha!

Great pictures on your basting. And nice to see your quilting in progress on the Swoon. Great loops!

Lorna:)
http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com

Cassie said...

Your loopys are just lovely!

jan said...

Your loopty loos are looking lovely!
Boy say that ten times real fast!
xo jan@sewandsowfarm

OPQuilt said...

Great instruction about pinning on a table. That quilt is beautiful, and will be really wonderful once you are all finished. Can't believe you are doing such a big quilt!

Elizabeth E.
opquilt.com

Kim said...

Well I do declare Miss Vicki, your loopys are spiffy....are you sure that you haven't tried these before?? ;)

ChristaQuilts said...

Such a pretty quilt and your quilting loops look great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...