Saturday, July 6, 2013

So zippy!!

I couldn't stand it.....I had to add a zipper to the top of my new tote!  I prefer bags that zip shut, so this one is no exception.




I cut two strips 4 inches wide and the length of the opening.  I pressed under 1/2" on each long side,  I then sewed across each short end,  trimmed off the corners to reduce bulk and turned right side out.  Press.  This left the tabs about 1 1/2" shorter then the tote opening.  I sewed in the zipper and then sewed the tabs 1 1/2" down from the top of the tote on each side.
 
 
I left the tail at the end of the zipper extra long so that the bag would be able to open as wide as possible.  I added the tab for a firm grip when zipping the zipper!
 


Finally, here are my choices for my "Swoon QAL" with Fairy Face Designs!  I am not sure why choosing fabrics for this quilt was so difficult for me, but here are my choices!  The white is Kona White, and the others are from Joann's.  I was trying to choose low volume colors.


I also finished the last of the bib/burp cloth creations for my upcoming grand baby!  The burp cloths are from Gerber.  The fabrics are all from my stash.


Here they are, all together!

Have you checked out the new bloggers over at the Let's Get Acquainted - New Bloggers Blog Hop?
It is such an honor to be part of Beth's hop!  I have met some wonderful new quilty friends.  Click on over for the complete schedule.  My turn is on July 26!

14 comments:

Kim said...

I concur Miss Vicki, your gorgeous tote bag is looking rather 'zippy'!! Those burp cloths are just too, too cute!!

Sew and Sow Farm said...

I love your bag! And the burp cloths and bibs are adorable!
jan@http://sewandsowfarm.blogspot.com

Judy said...

I have put in zippers like that and they look so cool when they are finished. Thanks for sharing!

Liz said...

I think that swoon quilt is going to look great :-)

Schulz Family said...

visiting from so darn crafty. I totally agree about having a zip. It looks fab

Deborah said...

You are AMAZING! Can you show me how to do a zipper like that?

Friendship Crossing said...

Love your new tote! how cute and colorful!

Tanya

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

Dropping by from LGA, brilliant addition to your gorgeous bag - I like my bags to close too and you've done a great job with this :)

ChristaQuilts said...

Love your fabric choices for your swoon quilt!

Anonymous said...

Hi!!! I'm here from the Monday Link Up!! Love the selection of fabrics of your tote bag

Cari said...

That bag is great... I'll have to keep that zipper method in mind! I agree it's really nice to be able to close the bag.

Trepmom said...

Nice job with the zipper, Vicki. You are just so creative! The bibs and burp cloths are so cute. What a lucky baby and mom to have you to sew for them :). I love that swoon pattern and your fabrics are going to look great. Will you keep the swoon or donate it?

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Great zip addition to your lovely bag and the baby things are gorgeous :)

tink's mom said...

The zipper is great. I like the way you added it. Such a wonderful addition.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...