Tuesday, May 6, 2014

My new purse!

Have you ever gone shopping for a new purse?  Have you ever found the perfect purse, only to look at the price tag in shock?  I know you have all done both of these things.  I have been looking for a new summer purse for a couple of months now, and I don't like what I am seeing in my price range.

SO.....I made my own!


I started off  by drawing up a new pattern.  I have never made a "Purse", so I had to scale it down from my usual tote size.


I got all of the interfacing ironed on and I was ready to quilt this puppy!


Then it was time for the two "blind pockets" on the outside of the purse.  You can find my tutorial on installing them HERE!!


This is what a blind pocket looks like without a zipper!  I top stitch close to the sewn edge for more stability.


Here are all the pieces, labeled and ready to sew together.


This is the outside shell of the purse.  You can see the lining piece to the left. 


Here is the finished bag!  You can see the zippered pocket and the slit pocket on the inside.  I like lots of pockets in my purses.  I also like a single handle.


This handle was installed with 'D' rings.

 
Perfect size.  8h x 12w x 4d.  Two outside slit pockets, 2 inside pockets....1 patch slit and 1 zipper blind.  Handle drop is 14".  I think I will like this purse.  I used leftover bits from other projects.  I used 3 different interfacings on the outside shell.  Featherweight iron on fusible, iron on fusible batting and ultra firm stabilizer.  These are all Pelon brand.
 
 
Linking to: Let's Bee Social! with Lorna as our hostess with the mostess!!
 
 
 
 

 

15 comments:

Wendy said...

what a lovely bag! I need a new one for summer and intend to make my own too, I just need to get round to it! I like a lot of pockets, but have learnt not to bother with outside pockets unless they have a zip as things fall out.

Amy at love made my home said...

It is scary when you are looking for a bag and find the right one and then realise the price - I am totally with you on that one!! Your bag is lovely though and so creative of you. I am sure that it is far nicer than anything that you could have bought. Hope that you have fun using it. xx

Vicki in MN said...

I love making purses too! Yours is very pretty and different with those type pockets :-)

jan said...

Wow! I love it. I'll take one in green and yellow please!
xo jan

Renee said...

It turned out great! I've been making my own bags for a while and love that they're exactly what I want when I'm done!

Anonymous said...

What a great purse!

Anonymous said...

What a great purse!

Anonymous said...

What a great purse!

Lorna McMahon said...

You really just have to start selling the patterns for these bags, totes and purses, Vicki! All those pockets are just what any girl needs! Great looking purse!

Ranjitha said...

Wow!! Who wants a store bought bag when handmade is soo soo beautiful. I wish I could sew like you. I have bought a sewing machine last week and want to learn :-)
Amazing bag!
My first time here!!
-Ranjitha

Paula@TheSassyQuilter said...

This came out great! I love the accessories. Really professional!

CitricSugar said...

Great job! Beautifully made and well-thought out.

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

of course you made your own! you are the queen of all totes and bags as far as I'm concerned! love it, Vicki!

Thanks so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Live a Colorful Life said...

Your pattern-making and purse/tote-making skills are amazing.

Kim said...

I will have to start calling you the "Bag Lady", Miss Vicki. These are darling!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...