Sunday, August 24, 2014

It's A Sister Thing - part 2!

If you remember in my last post, I told you about Jeanie, my swap partner from It's A Sister Thing - 2014 swap.  I had to many photos to share in one post, so here is the second installment in my reveal post.

Here is a tutorial like post. How to make a strawberry pincushion!

 I used a 5 in circle.  You can make it as large as you want.  Remember, your strawberry will end up approximately 1/2 the size of the circle you cut.  Cut your circle in half.
 Fold the half circle in half and mark 1/4" seam and round off the bottom corner.

 After you have sewn the seam, trim off the bottom corner.
 Turn right side out.
 Take a needle and tread.  Make sure you have more thread then needed to make a gathering stitch around the top of the strawberry.  About 1/8" from the top of the opening.  Gather.
 I use crushed walnut shells to fill my pincushions.  It took about 1 tsp. for this size.  You can purchase the walnut shells at your local pet supply place or on line.  You will need the weight to keep it in place.  If you use just fiber fill, it will get away from you when using it.
 I top off the walnut shells with a bit of batting.  That keeps the shells in.  Pull your thread tight.
 Pull the thread back and forth through the top, catching fabric as you go, to close it up.  Tie the thread off.
 Now for the top knot.  Cut a piece of fabric 2" smaller then the circle you used for your strawberry.  In this case, I used a 31/2 in. circle.  Your yo-yo will end up 1/2 the size of the circle you cut.  Again, take a needle and thread, run a gathering stitch and pull it tight.
 Tie off the thread as you did to close up the top of your strawberry.  I used a little button to make it fun and fancy!  I also used hot glue to attach it to the top of the strawberry.  You can attach it with needle and thread if you wish.
And here you have a little strawberry pincushion.  It is approx. 2" long.  You will be able to make 2 pincushions out of one circle!

12 comments:

Amy at love made my home said...

I love the way that you added the leaves and topped it off! xx

Jacqui S. said...

That's just right!

Unknown said...

I am looking for a pin cushion and this is so cute

Carol Maynard said...

So cute!! Would make cute gifts for my sewing friends!!!

Jeanie said...

It's darling in person... I can attest to that! Even though it's small, the walnut shells really do keep it from falling off of my sewing area. Thanks, Vicki!

Lorna McMahon said...

Super cute pincushion and a lovely tutorial! I am pinning this!!!

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

That's very cute Vicki - Chris :D

dq said...

Every quilter is going to love this. Thanks for showing us how. It looks delicious and would make a wonderful quilter's gift! I think I'll link to it for my Christmas ideas.

CeLynn said...

Super cute little strawberry! Thanks for the tute!

Sarah said...

Cute Strawberry! I've never seen one with a top like that. I like it!

legato1958 said...

What an adorable strawberry! I love the little yoyo cap!! Thanks for the tutorial!
Susie

Michele said...

Oh that is so cute! Thanks for the "how to". I just might have to make one or more sometime.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...