Sunday, October 20, 2013

Gone to Alaska!!

Some of you might remember our cruise to Alaska back In May of this year!  I sure do!!!  It really was a fantastic trip.   Does it look cold to you?  IT WAS!!!



Well, there are some wonderful quilt shops up there. I had a need, a compulsion wanted to visit every one I could find. I bought fabric in both of them! The other two were closed by the time we got to them.



Here is a peek into 'The Silver Thimble' in Ketchikan! Beatriz has two of the most fantastic quilt shops right next door to each other.  This shop is where I bought the fabric for the quilt I have finished for today's post.  You can see the finished 'kit' quilt, " I Spy Alaska - With A Twist ", that I purchased at 'Rushin' Tailor's Quilt Alaska' shop in Skagway....here!



This is 'practice' quilting that I did on this quilt! There are a lot of biased seams, so I didn't get to quilt this quite the way I had planned. The fabrics for the top are "Trails End" by Holly Taylor for Moda.





I took the easy way out, and machine bound this quilt!  The backing fabric is "Afternoon Splendor" by Beryl Peters for P & B Textiles.







I even did some FM lettering! So much fun...there's no need for a label now!



I had so much fun at H & E Nursery in nearby Clovis, Ca. Their displays were so colorful.  I could have stayed there for hours shooting photos.  I got there only 5 minutes before they closed!!  They were nice enough to let me come in for some quick pics!





It finished out at 55x71.  She's a little wonky, but those pesky biased seems were difficult to work with.  I guess it is a cross between modern and traditional styles.



OK....OK....this one was taken in my front yard.  Yes, that is a dead rose over on the left, but I liked the way the quilt looked in this picture!  You can really get a feel for the quilting.

I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit Alaska someday, if you haven't already.  It is truly God's country up there!  This was our third trip, and it never gets old.  Thank you so much for sharing in these great memories with me.  If you were going to Alaska next summer....what would be the one thing you'd just HAVE to do/see? If you've already been there, what was one thing you just loved?

I am joining a Kelly and friends over at Needle & Thread Thursday!!  Check it out!!

13 comments:

Betsy said...

Thank you for sharing this post. I will be going on an Alaskan cruise in June. I am glad you mentioned the quilt shop. I will stop in.

Anonymous said...

I love your quilting on this! Especially the lettering, I hate making labels and need to remember this tip.

Lorna McMahon said...

Whoop! Whoop! Congrats on a beautiful finish. Love the label quilting - that was very clever. Great job, Vicki!

Jusmom1 said...

I love the colors of your quilt! I have always wanted to go on a cruise to Alaska...but I don't think I want to be THAT cold, lol.

Sewing Mom said...

Your quilting looks lovely! I've never been to Alaska...but it does sound amazing.

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

Fancying meeting you at 'Anything Goes'! Another great quilt Vicki and Alaska looks fantastic :)

Deborah said...

Another beautiful quilt!! when I went to Alaska they were having a heat wave!!

Cathie said...

Love the name and date you "wrote" on the quilt. Good job.

Kim said...

What a lovely quilt you li'l ice bunny, you!!! Is this beautiful quilt, perchance, being hung on your 'new' sewing room wall??

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is a gorgeous quilt - beautiful wintery fabrics. And your trip looks amazing. I doubt I will ever go to Alaska but I'd love too :)

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

your quilting looks great, Vicki! This is a really pretty quilt!

Thank you so much for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I love the winter animals in this one and it looks like you really did have not just a great time traveling and shopping, but quilting too!!!

Vivian said...

A wonderful quilt for wonderful memories of your trip! What a great place to stage your photo shoot too.

An Alaska quilt cruise is definitely on my "bucket list". Most of the ones I've seen happen near my birthday so I hope that one day I'll get to give that special gift to myself!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...