Thursday, July 4, 2013

My Finish-It-Up-Fourth!!! - This time LAST year!

I managed to keep myself busy on July 4th!  I have had plans to make a tote, and I did.

First of all....I had to plan the whole thing out!  I do not have a pattern, so I grabbed my notebook and sketched away. 

The straps were cut 4"xWOF.  Pressed in half, then under by 1/2".
I thought that a contrast around the top of the pocket would set it off nicely.  I - 1 1/2" by length, pressed in half and attached raw edges together.
Then came time to mark for the strap placement.

I wanted plenty of storage inside this large tote, so I made 2 zipper pockets!  They are both double thickness for added strength.
Turning this beast was NOT easy!  With a little persuasion, it happened.
Once it is turned, you have to sew the opening closed! 
When I top stitched the top of my tote, I left just a bit of the yellow lining showing.
 
 Are you still with me?  I know that there a lot of pictures, but it was a long process!
Here are the stats....14 1/2" tall....18" wide....5 1/2" deep.  10" handle drop....2 elastic pockets....2 zipper pockets. 

Also....

....I managed to sneak in a bib and burp cloth!!
The bib pattern is courtesy of Jaime at Sew She Sews' tot! The green cloth diaper is from Gerber.

Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?  Go over to 'Confessions Of A Fabric Addict to check out all of the finishes this Friday!  Thank you Sarah, for hosting 'Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? each Friday.

I am linking over to Finish It Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts!!  It is amazing what others can get done in a week!

Make sure to click over to Plum and June for the Let's Get Acquainted - New Bloggers Blog Hop!!!  If you click on the button, a list of all the participants is available.  It is so exciting to meet new quilty friends!

Linking to: Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation.-

16 comments:

Kim said...

Love, love, love your tote! The black and white fabric is so funky and the little bit of yellow contrast peeping out adds the finishing touch! Won't you look a treat stepping out with your rather glam tote slung over your shoulder!!

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful tote and without a pattern too. I agree the little yellow touch is perfect. Nice job!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

The black, white, and yellow is really cute! and I love the pockets that you added to the inside! Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday, Vicki!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

If you get a second, stop by and grab a button or add a text link so others can share too!

:) Kelly

Leigh Anne said...

This turned out fantastic! I love the elastic pockets :)

wonderlandbyalyce said...

Wow Vicki, great job! I can't believe you were able to do it without a pattern. You must be very smart to figure out all the math and such involved. I love the black and white with the pop of yellow. Is the exterior fabric home dec weight or something else?

The domestic Groove said...

That is a beautiful tote. I absolutely love the yellow accents!

Diana @ Red Delicious Life said...

Very cute bag! Love it!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This tote is great. Those little bits of yellow really finish it off beautifully. I love your photo shoot pictures too :)

Trepmom said...

Vicki, that's a really nice bag. You really impress me with your fabric selection and your sewing skills. The baby items are just too cute :).

Bethe @ Texas Lovely said...

What a gorgeous bag - Love the fabric!

RobinSue said...

What a great tote - I love the colors. How wonderful that you were able to whip that together without a pattern!

tink's mom said...

Truly wonderful tote. I like everything about it's design especially the piping and the elastic pockets. They are a great idea.

Sarah Craig said...

Beautiful tote - you did a great job without a pattern! Whoop whoop!!

JB said...

I can't believe you just whipped that up without a pattern! It is brilliant.

Sarah Craig said...

What a fabulous tote, Vicki! I particularly love the little pops of yellow. Whoop whoop!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...